We Compared The Top 3 Weighted Blankets In The UK
Updated: March 28, 2021
The weighted blanket is now the #1 ranked household item in the USA to relieve stress and anxiety and improve sleep. It seems the word has spread across the pond as sales in the UK have spiked over the past 3 months.
We tested 11 blankets available in the UK and narrowed it down to the 3 top weighted blankets based on effectiveness, quality and price.
Weighted Blanket Summary Chart UK
A GOOD Weighted blanket will mimic the feeling of a hug and help to soothe everyday stress and anxiety and improve sleep. Scientific studies have found that weighted therapy can help to increase levels of serotonin and melatonin (happiness), while decreasing cortisol levels (stress).
But not all weighted blankets are made equal. Many weighted blankets are poorly made and are of low quality. Our team tested 11 weighted blankets. Most were low quality but we found 3 that actually do what they say..
How Kudd.ly Compares To Other Weighted Blankets In UK
Overall we were very impressed with the Koala Blanket. According to their website the team behind Koala is located in the UK and they worked 18 months on this blanket. Their goal was to create a blanket that solved all the issues with other weighted blankets such as bead spillage, ripping and uneven weight distribution…while providing it at the best price.
80% of our testers felt more relaxed and had improved sleep. Plus it works well for the summer and winter this is a big plus.
This blanket is made out of organic cotton and the cover is two sided. It has smaller pockets to keep the weighted beads in place. They also use extra strong thread and double stitching to ensure the blanket doesn’t break and spill beads. This is a big complaint with weighted blankets so it is nice to see feature.
The beads did not shift during our tests and the duvet stayed in place within the cover. This is a big plus as most duvet and cover weighted blankets move around making it uncomfortable when using.
This blanket is constructed well and is similar quality to the Koala Blanket but it is priced significantly higher.
What we noticed with this blanket is that it has a lack of materials holding the beads in place, so the beads tend to bunch up on one side of their square. Also, you can hear the beads moving around. For instance, when you stand up with the blanket wrapped around you, all the beads fall down to the bottom of their squares, and it has a rainfall sound. This weight shift of course isn’t too much of a problem if you’re laying down flat with the blanket evenly on top of you, but it tends to fall off the side of the bed or the couch more easily if you shift your weight.
When using it while laying flat in the bed it did give our testers the feeling of being secure and helped to lower stress levels.
Overall the Snuzi was the 2nd best blanket of the 11 we tried.
(We have not found a voucher code for this the Snuzi)
Weighted Blanket Benefits
Weighted blankets help people sleep better in the following ways:
- Reduces cortisol levels:Grounding reduces the production of cortisol, a steroid hormone triggered by stressful situations. While cortisol is not necessarily bad, nighttime cortisol production can counteract the production of melatonin, which can in turn have a negative effect on sleep quality.
- Helps produce more melatonin: Natural light triggers melatonin, causing us to feel more tired at night and more wakeful the next morning. People with insomnia tend to produce less melatonin, leading to problems with sleep onset and/or sleep maintenance. As a result, those who use weighted blankets for insomnia and other disorders linked to low melatonin production often experience notable sleep improvements.
- Triggers happiness hormones: Grounding triggers the release of serotonin, and other ‘happiness hormones’ that calm the nervous system and make people feel more relaxed.
- Reduces sleepwalking episodes: Interrupted or inefficient sleep can cause in adults and children. Weighted blankets cause people to feel more relaxed before falling asleep, which often leads to deeper sleep and more restful nights. As a result, weighted blankets can be very helpful for sleepwalkers – particularly toddlers and young children.
In addition to benefits for sleepers, weighted blankets can also alleviate stress and anxiety for many. Dentists often provide weighted blankets to patients in order to alleviate their stress before exams. Physicians have also noted that adults and children with certain disorders and medical conditions may benefit from using a weighted blanket for anxiety. These include:
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD): A weighted blanket for autism can be effective for several reasons, particularly among children with ASD. Individuals with ASD often have below-average serotonin and melatonin levels, which can lead to sleep difficulties. Additionally, children with ASD tend to experience anxiety, especially at night.
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): Poor academic performance is a common issue among children with ADHD, and this problem may be compounded by lack of restful sleep. When used correctly, a weighted blanket for ADHD can not only improve the child’s sleep but also sharpen their focusing abilities in the classroom and boost their grades.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): Like ASD, PTSD is a condition that can reduce serotonin production levels. By boosting these serotonin levels and alleviating stress – a common symptom of PTSD – weighted blankets can help people with PTSD improve their overall sleep quality.
A Word From Our Team
We know our Kudd.ly Blanket will make a difference in your household and we can’t wait for you to try it. We love creating a company that helps others and at the same time provides us with income.
We want you to try Kudd.ly as soon as possible so we offer FREE DELIVERY.. This means a good night’s sleep is just a click away. And if it doesn’t work (we know it will!) you can return it, no questions asked!